How do I choose the UPC division that fits my needs?

A patentee claimant will have to bring their infringement action before a Local or Regional Division of a country where either (1) infringement has occurred or is threatened, or (2) the defendant (or one of the defendants) is resident or has a place of business. Furthermore, non-EU based defendants (ie defendants that are neither resident nor have a place of business within the participating EU Member States) can also be sued for infringement in the Central Division. If the country under (1) or (2) above does not participate in a Local or Regional Division (for example, Luxembourg or Malta), the case can again be brought in the Central Division. These rules have the potential to give a patentee claimant a wide choice of divisions in which to bring proceedings, particularly in the case of pan-European infringements.

Click here to return to the UPC homepage

Find the right person

Find the office that suits you

Click here to view our offices